We all want our furniture to be sparkling clean. However, furniture cleaning is not as easy as it sounds. There are some steps that you need to follow for sofa cleaning and you won’t have a problem ever. There is no need to let stains, as well as messy spills, ruin your style quotient. Follow the below-mentioned step by step process of how to clean a couch and you will be good to go.
- Reach to the Fabric Stains as quickly as possible– If there is any spill on your couch or there is a stain that you spot on your sofa, start cleaning it as soon as you see it. Do not let the stain settle down. You must check out the instructions of the manufacturer as ‘how to clean upholstery’. When you wait for too long, the stain actually settles inside the fabric, and then it would be hard to remove it even with a good couch cleaner such as Cleanly upholstery cleaner, Astonish Fabric Stain Remover, etc. So, just set out to action without any delay what so ever.
- Read the recommendations of the manufacturer- The manufacturer is always clear as to what is the best way to clean the couch. For instance, a leather sofa can be cleaned with just plain water, while a fabric sofa might require a mild detergent. If you do not use the right cleaning product, the upholstery can be damaged permanently.
- Use Handheld Garment Steamer- The steam from the garment steamer kills the dust mites leaving your sofa absolutely clean. You can remove the cushions and clean from below. The cushion covers can be hand- washed. Do not forget to clean the sofa back, skirt and the arms as this is the area that accumulates maximum of dirt.
- Cleaning a fabric sofa- Fabric sofas usually come with tags. If the tag states ‘W’, this means only water-based cleaner can be used to remove the stains on the upholstery. However, if it states S/W, this means both solvent and water-based cleaners can be used to get rid of stains. And if there is only ‘S’ that is written, you should just make use of a solvent to clean the upholstery. A solvent is basically a kind of solution that contains a cleaning chemical to remove stains. Some tags state X. This means you can only vacuum or brush clean the sofa. Anything else will spoil the gentle fabric.
- Vacuum Cleaning of Sofa– Another effective way how to clean couch cushions and how to clean upholstery is vacuum cleaning. This should be done periodically so that the upholstery stays clean. A handheld vacuum cleaner helps to get rid of crumbs and any other loose particles on the sofa. This enables you to focus on trouble areas and this makes your sofa absolutely clean.
- Use baking soda to clean the sofas- Baking soda is a wonderful cleaning product. When you sprinkle baking soda over the stains, it helps loosen the stains. The odor also simply vanishes. For the deep-set stains, you can use a paste of baking soda and water. Let this paste sit on the stain for 15 to 20 minutes and you will simply see the magic happening. Once the stain absorbs the baking soda fully, you must vacuum it with a brush attachment. For all couch cleaner products, it is prudent to do a sample test beforehand otherwise your whole sofa might end up getting spoiled or bleached.
- Spot Treat the Dirty area with a good Couch cleaner– There are several couch cleaning products available in the market. Choose the right product and apply it to the designated spot carefully. This is actually the best way to clean the couch and keep it sparkling new. In case you are not sure of the product, use it in an extremely small area to check for any discolorations. Some cleaning products are harsh on couch upholstery and should be avoided. To avoid such a scenario you must read the instructions that are stated on the packaging.
- Use a Soft Towel to clean your Sofa– In case of any spills use a soft towel that will absorb the extra moisture on your upholstery. Let the area air dry and you will not have to do something extra for your sofa cleaning.
Follow the above-mentioned tips on how to clean a couch and you will never have to battle with ugly spots on your couch. In fact, the couch cleaning process isn’t as tough as it seems. Just be a little prompt in your action and you will get to live in a home that always looks new and fresh. Do not let the money that you spend on expensive upholstery go waste. Go ahead use the best stain removing products and get rid of the toughest of stains. Fabric steamers are also good as they bust out the set- in spills and stains.